Best Bike Chain Lube 2021
Protecting your bike chain is important if you want a smooth, quite ride from start to finish, and the proper bike lube will help you achieve just that. A protected and well lubed chain will not only provide you with a smoother gear shifting but will also last a lot longer.
We’re going to look at the types of lubes available and what the benefits of each are. After that we’re going to take a closer look at the best bike chain lube and 2 other chain lube products.
Top 6 Best Bike Chain Lubes Complete Chart
|1. Rock N Roll Gold Chain Lubricant, 16-Ounce Complete Kit w/ 4oz Bottle & Applicator||Wet Lube||$$$$||4.9|
|2. DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant, 4-Ounce||Dry Lube||$$||4.8|
|3. Rock N Roll ORM-D Extreme PTFE Chain Lubricant, 16-Ounce||Wet Lube||$$$||4.8|
|4. Park Tool CL-1 Synthetic Blend Chain Lube Bottle (4 oz)||Wet Lube||$||4.8|
|5. Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubrication 12 oz aerosol||Dry Lube||$$$||4.7|
|6. ProGold Prolink Chain Lube 32oz||Wet Lube||$||4.7|
Wet vs. Dry Lube
Both are better than having no lube at all on your chain. The chain will start to gather more and more dirt on it and it will eventually start to corrode. This means more noise, difficult gear shifting and of course worse cycling experience.
There are 2 types of lube you can find: Wet and Dry. If you want the lube to do its job go for a lube that’s designed and made for bike chains. It will perform a lot better than the common lubes for general purposes.
- Wet Lube. This type of lube is thick enough to stay on the chain and thin enough to reach the hard to reach parts. It protects the chain, removes dirt, and prevents corrosion. It’s perfect for wet conditions, meaning if there’s a lot of mud and water the wet lube is the choice to make. You don’t want the chain to be wet for a long time if there’s a lot of dust around you, since a lot of dust and a wet chain means a lot of dirt on it. This will require regular cleaning if you want to have a well-protected chain and smooth rides.
- Dry Lube. It leaves a waxy layer that protects the chain. After applying the lube you should give it some time to dry off. Usually it takes no more than 3-4 hours because of the alcohol it has in it. It’s good for dry conditions because it will not hold on dirt. It’s dry therefore the dirt has nothing to hold on. However, if you take the trail with mud or water the protection won’t last for long since it will wear off.
To sum up, if you intend to ride in wet conditions always pick the wet lube, otherwise the dry lube is the safer call to make as it will last longer.
Now we give you the best bike chain lube!
Top 3 Bike Chain Lubes Reviews
1. Rock N Roll Gold Chain Lubricant
This is the best wet chain lube you’ll find on the market. It provides the chain with an astounding protection from dirt, corrosion and will give you the smoothest ride you had in months.
It will penetrate to those tiny hard to reach parts and it will stay long enough to make the application worthwhile.
In addition you can use it as a dirt remover since it will dissolve any hard to remove dirt which is attached to the chain. Aside from that the lube can be used to lube any other parts of your bike, not only your chain.
Overall the best offer you can get for the money you pay, the RnR Gold Lube is the best bike chain lube!
2. DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry
Unlike the RnR Gold Lube, the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver is a Dry lube and we recommend it for environments with dry conditions and with a lot of dust in the air. Just make sure you give it enough time to dry off and it will be good to go.
It will make a thin waxy layer that will act as a protection coat for the chain from any harmful influences and dirt.
It comes in a package of 16oz and it will make your chain and drivetrain shine.
3. Rock N Roll ORM-D Extreme PTFE
Tagged as a the king of lubes, it really makes a huge difference once you apply it on your chain. It removes any dirt, protects your chain upon application and makes your drivetrain and chain shine.
The RnR Extreme will make the gear shifting fast and easy and the ride will be smooth as never before. You won’t hear the chain making any noise as the friction is reduced.
A worthy competitor for its counterpart the RnR Gold, the RnR Extreme is ranked 3rd on our list for best chain lubes.