Best Hitch Bike Rack 2021
So you want to take your bike with you on holiday break or maybe to your remote house with you, well you need a bike rack for that. Well this guide will show you what the best hitch bike rack is and with what should you be careful about when buying one.
We’ll show you different types of bike racks so you can pick the one that will suit your needs. Read on and you’ll be prepared for what’s to come!
Top 10 Best Hitch Bike Racks Overview Chart
|1. Swagman 64663 Bike Rack||Tray Rack/ 2", Bumper Mount||$$||4.8|
|2. Hollywood Racks HR1400 Sport Rider SE 4-Bike Platform Style Hitch Mount Rack||Tray Rack/ 2"||$$$||4.7|
|3. Kuat NV 2 Bike Rack Black / Polished Chrome 2IN||Tray Rack/ 2" and 1.25"||$$$$||4.6|
|4. Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2-Bike Platform Style Hitch Mount Rack||Tray Rack/ 1.25" and 2"||$$||4.6|
|5. Prorack 2-Bike Hitch Platform||Tray Rack/ 1.25" and 2"||$||4.6|
|6. Swagman XTC-4 Cross-Country 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack||Tray Rack/ 2"||$$$||4.6|
|7. Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack with 2-Inch Receiver||Mount Rack/ 2"||$||4.5|
|8. Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack||Tray Rack/ 1.25" and 2"||$$||4.5|
|9. Swagman XTC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack||Tray Rack/ 1.25" and 2"||$$||4.5|
|10. Hollywood Racks Expedition Rack for 2 Bikes||Mount Rack/ Trunk Mounted||$||4.5|
Things to Consider for a Hitch Bike Rack
- Compatibility. If you don’t consider this you might end up with a bike rack that you’ll never be able to use. If it’s a hitch bike rack you have to double check if it’s compatible with the hitch of your vehicle. As a precaution, make sure that the rack you choose will keep them high enough and there will be clearance from the road. If you are going through a rough terrain if the bikes are too low you can end up damaging them. At least drive carefully no matter what the terrain is like, remember your bikes are probably more expensive than your rack.
- Type. Different types of bike racks have different features, but they all have the same purpose, carry your bikes. Regarding hitch bike racks there are Mount Bike Racks and Tray Bike Racks. The first type holds the bikes, they are literally mounted on the rack and are locked in place so they won’t move and hit each other. The latter one holds the bikes by their wheels and locks them in with a ratchet.
- Capacity. There are hitch bike racks that can carry up to 5 bikes. Of course this makes the vehicle a lot longer than you are used to. A great deal of attention should be put in maneuvering the vehicle as now there’s a bigger possibility of hitting the wall or some fence that come in your way. Buy the rack that matches the number of bikes you will bring with you or you might bring with you in the future.
- Quality. If the rack breaks during transport not only that you will damage your bikes, there’s the possibility of damaging other vehicles that might be behind you. This can be the reason for a catastrophe and huge serious damages. Buying a high quality bike rack will prevent this and you’ll be certain that everything will be ok with the bikes and no other problems can occur. I’m sure that you’re excited and you want to see what the best hitch bike rack is. Wait for it!
Top 3 Best Hitch Bike Racks Reviews
1. Swagman 64663 Bike Rack
If you need a hitch bike rack with a capacity for two bikes this is by far the best deal you can get. It will keep your bikes from making contact and will lock them in place throughout the whole transport process.
It’s crafted with the highest precision and assembled with great care. The finest materials are used to craft this masterpiece of a bike rack.
It’s compatible with a 2 inch hitch receiver or you can mount it on a bumper. It’s just that versatile. There’s a locking hitch pin and a security cable that you can buy separately for increased security and safety of your bikes during the transport.
The process of installing the rack on your car is very simple. Depending on your hitch or if you ‘re going to go with the bumper mount there will be slight differences. However, once you receive the rack you’ll be able to install it intuitively.
2. Hollywood Racks HR1400 Sport Rider SE 4
The HR1400 is made by Hollywood Racks and its capacity is up to 4 bikes at a time. It’s a tray rack that is installed on the hitch. You can fold the rack if you are not using it so you’ll be able to maneuver easier.
With this rack you’ll get a 9 feet security cable to lock all your bikes in place and prevent any wobbling that might occur from any rough terrain and acceleration or pulling over.
It’s a true beast amongst other bike racks and we have it has a well-deserved 2nd place right behind the best hitch bike rack.
3. Kuat NV 2 Bike Rack
Another great high quality rack that will serve you for a long time, the Kuat 2 Bike NV Rack is an exceptionally durable product that will keep your bikes safe and secure on it. It’s designed to keep the bikes in place and to prevent any damage arising from contact.
Different options are available regarding the compatibility with the receiver, meaning you can get it to be compatible with a 2 inch receiver or a 1.25 inch one.
Overall a great bike rack that is suitable even for longer distances, it may be too costly but what you get is nothing but the best.